All You Need to Know about Google Ads Certification
It’s definitely then no surprise that millions of brands are subscribed to Google advertising board to advertise their businesses. There are over 2.2 million Pay-Per-Click advertising agencies on Google and these businesses rake in a total of over $80 billion in ad revenue on a yearly basis.
It is a hyper-competitive industry which makes ads tough and time-consuming for most businesses. This is where Google Ads certification comes in.
This article will give an exhaustive guide to Google Ads Certification, Google Analytics, and PPC tracking to help you understand how you can give your business the competitive edge you will need to succeed in the industry.
What is Google Ads Certification?
The Google Ads Certification is an accreditation awarded by Google to individuals, usually marketers, as a recognition of their proficiency in Google Ads.
Google Ads (or AdWords as it is often called) itself is an online advertisement board which provides a platform for businesses to advertise the products and services offered on their websites on Google search engine.
The Google Ads certification has become a vital accreditation for online marketers as it is a universally recognized and standardized way of proving a certain level of knowledge.
This certification requires a level of mastery and it helps to demonstrate that the marketer knows what they are doing.
What is the use of Google Ads Certification?
A social media survey carried out by eConsultancy showed that companies and businesses are increasingly outsourcing their PPC related tasks to improve efficiency and effectiveness as well as save time. These companies would be on the lookout for skilled and trustworthy advertisers and what better proof of credibility is there in this case than a Google Ads Certification? There are several other benefits of being Google Ads certified and below are some of them;
- The Google Ads Certification is essentially a badge which serves as social proof of your competence in PPC advertising. It means Google recognizes you as an expert AdWords user which could really help to drive more traffic and sales to your business.
- It shows your customers, both the regular and the prospects that you are a professional and certified marketer, well versed in online advertising.
- The certification demonstrates credibility which is a great value proposition that can help increase the conversion rates for your business by up to 30 percent.
- As an advertiser, the Google Ads certification can give your resume a major boost and help you promote the value of your personal brand.
- Certified individuals can help their companies/businesses earn the Google Partner or Premier Google Partner badge as Google requires at least one Google Ads certified individual to be affiliated with a company before it can award the accreditation.
How to get Google Ads Certification?
Having gotten the basic idea of what Google Ads Certification is and its benefits, below is a step-by-step guide to acquiring it.
Step 1: Create your Google account
- You can easily create a new Google account here or use a pre-existing one for this purpose.
- If you are affiliated with a company, it is recommended you use a work email address. Otherwise, you can use a personal Gmail account or a Google account that you wouldn’t mind your certification being associated with.
Step 2: Join the Academy for Ads
This is Google’s online training program.
- Log into the account you want to use for the program and visit here.
- Tap the “Get Started Now” button
- Next, read through and accept the terms of service to proceed
- You will be given the option of sharing your Academy for Ads account with a company. Select “yes” or “no” depending on if you are affiliated with a company or not, respectively.
- Connecting your personal account with a company will require that you update your profile. This process will need you to provide the necessary pieces of information that connect you to the company.
Step 3: Prepare for Exams
Google provides free learning materials including basic and extensive educational info to help you get ready for the exams. You can visit the Google Ads Certification assessment help page to access the study guides and get more information about the exams.
Step 4: Pass the Exams
You will be required to pass at least 2 exams to be Google AdWords Certified – the Ads fundamentals exam and one other exam of your choice. The exams are free and you can take it anywhere, even from the convenience of your home.
The additional product area assessment for the second exams include search, display, mobile, video, and shopping advertising. Although search and display are the two most popular additional exams, the video is slowly gaining traction thanks to the promotion from Google. You can take as many exams as you want, however, you must pass the fundamentals and at least one of the secondary exams to be certified.
It is pertinent to note that your certification will be given for the particular product focus area of the second exam you choose. For example, to earn the Google Ads Shopping certification, you will need to pass both the Fundamentals and Shopping assessments. It is recommended that you choose an area you would like to invest time in or at least one that suits your advertising style to ensure that you will be providing as much value as possible with your accreditation.
While you can always take the exams again if you fail, there is a waiting period you must observe before re-entry. The certification assessment is available in 21 languages including English (UK and US), French, German, Spanish and Chinese. Finally, it is important to understand the certification has a validity period and when it expires, you will need to retake the exams and be successful in the relevant assessments to keep your certification valid.
How to Analyze Audience Performance with Google Analytics?
Google Analytics is a tool developed to allow website owners to track and analyze traffic to their websites. Setting up Google Analytics on your site makes available to you, valuable information about the visitors to your site. This information is presented in a report called an Audience report.
The audience in this context refers to a group of users grouped (by you) based on several attributes deemed valuable and relevant to your business.
The Audience report contains data in 9 reporting sections including; demographics (age and gender), interest, geo (location and language), behavior (new and returning, frequency &recency, engagement), technology (OS, network and browser) and mobile (devices).
The Audience report can be accessed from the left side menu on your Google Analytics dashboard.
However, before you can access an Audience report to analyze it. You must first of all set it up in Google Analytics. To do this, follow the steps below
- Activate interests and demographics
- Create audiences in Google analytics. You can learn more about creating audiences here.
- Share the audiences with the Google Analytics account, you can also add pre-existing audiences to Analytics as well.
Once you share your audiences with Analytics, Google will begin to accumulate the data for you. It, however, can not retrieve data before the set date. It is important to note that you can only choose 20 audiences for Google to report on, although you can create more than that number. To view and analyze data from your Audience report, simply;
- Log in to Google Analytics
- Go to your view.
- Select Reports.
- Select Audience
- From the drop-down menu, select Audiences to view your data
Why do you need to keep track of the audience performance?
The type of visitors you get on your site is as important as the number of visitors you get. If you keep on getting high traffic of visitors who are not your target market, your website conversion rates will continue to remain low. The right visitors are the high-value customers which every website owner aims to attract. This is why it is necessary to keep track of audience performance.
The audience report provides a comparative analysis of the performance of your audience. This analysis can provide you with lots of information such as;
The engagement level of your audiences:
Such as average session duration and number of webpages visited. The data can help you determine if your website is offering the right content and if it is. Is it targeting the right audience and are they interested in it?
Audiences with the highest conversion rates as well as the rate of returning visitors vs that of new visitors:
Do you always have more first-timers than regulars? This can help you figure out what strategy to change or improve on to encourage your audience to return to the website and engage the content.
Most frequently engaged channels for an audience.
This information so gathered can help you as the website owner determine the most effective engagement channels for your audience and in the identification of the most valuable audience for prioritization purposes.
- It can also help you figure out the major exit pages for your audiences. So you can work towards improving on those areas and patch holes in the funnel.
Essentially, when it comes the things you can do with the information mined from the audience report, your options are vast. Ultimately, it will help you identify several ways through which you can improve on the website to enhance the audience performance in your marketing strategy.
How to Set up Google Tag Manager for Better PPC Tracking?
GTM also allows you to implement and manage the tags on your website conveniently all in one place. Setting up GTM will enable you to get your PPC tracking in place efficiently so your campaigns can be more effective.
Below, we will cover how to set up Google Tag Manager (GTM) to improve tracking for your PPC campaigns.
Step 1: Create a Google Tag Manager account
- First of all, you will need to create a GTM account. Tap here to create your new account.
- It is recommended that you name the GTM account after your business.
Step 2: Create a Google Tag Manager container for your site
- Next, you will have to set up a GTM container for your website within your account. Input your website in the text box for “container”
- Under “Where to use container”, select “Web” and then tap “Create” to set up your account.
Step 3: Add the code
- On the next page, a box displaying a snippet of code will be displayed. Copy and paste the code as instructed on the page.
- Once you are done, click “OK” to finish.
Additionally, if your website is hosted on WordPress. You can easily install the Google Tag Manager on your site using this plugin.
Step 4: Double Check your GTM installation
Once you have installed your tag, it is recommended to you run some checks to ensure that it is properly installed. To do this;
- Install the Google Tag Assistant extension in Google Chrome browser
- Go to the page you want to check for GTM and click the extensions’ icon in your browser bar.
- If GTM is installed, you will see it listed. Colored emoticons will also be placed to indicate the status of the code.
- A green emoticon means the code is functional, a red one represents an installation error while blue means the code could be problematic.
Useful tips on how to efficiently track PPC:
To gauge your performance, you will need to monitor certain performance metrics such as;
- Impressions: The total number of times your ads came up in search results.
- Clicks: The total number of times people engaged with your ads.
- Click-through rate (CTR): A percentage rate gotten by dividing the total clicks on ads by total impressions multiplied by 100.
- Average position: the placement of your ads on the search results page. A higher position means more visibility and a lower position means fewer users get to see your ads.
- Conversions: The number of conversions generated by your ads.
- Conversion rate: The percentage of users who ended up converting after clicking on your ads.
- Quality Score: used to show the relevance of your ads, keywords and landing page to the user. It is reported on a scale of 1 to 10, the higher the score, the better.
Is Google tracking necessary?
Not only is PPC tracking necessary, but it is also highly recommended. If you are not keeping track of your result, how can you be certain that your ads are making a difference and you are not wasting your money?
Having knowledge of your performance will help you understand how your business is doing and areas that may need to be improved on.
Tracking results are the best way to ensure that your PPC budget is indeed bolstering growth.
Ways to increase PPC traffic:
Whether you are looking to boost sales, sign-ups or leads, pay-per-click advertising can bring qualified and targeted users to your website. However, for PPC advertising to be effective and drive traffic, it must be done right.
Here are some rarely used tricks to efficiently optimizing your PPC campaigns:
- Check the performance of your keywords and focus on the top performing ones. Filter out the poor performing keywords and invest in the high performers that are paying you back.
- Research negative words and make use of them. Negative words are words that will prevent your ads from coming up in irrelevant search queries. They will filter out undesirable traffic and help you save money.
- Create engaging and compelling ads. Most users only browse through the search result page without clicking on links. Ensure that your ads are enticing enough to persuade them to click.
- Use ad extensions. This will display your ad in a format that shows extra information so your customers can get to know more about your products or servicesin an optimal style.
- Create specific landing pages for your ads. Your ads will be more effective if they are aligned to a relevant and specific landing page. Ensure that this landing page highlights the features and benefits of the ads unlike for better results.
It is crucial to monitor and track your PPC data. If you want to achieve the best possible results from PPC advertising as a digital marketing strategy. The best thing about this approach is that there are performance metrics which you can measure your results against.
This way, it is easy to tell if you are performing subpar or you are doing well. Either way, the tips above can help you improve the performance of your PPC campaigns to make you stand out from your competitors and enjoy great results.
We provide great value to help your business grow – nothing less, nothing more.